The 2018 CIPC for Young Artists will be held in Cleveland, Ohio, USA from May 30 through June 9, 2018. The competition is open to pianists of all nationalities in two age categories:
- Junior Division: Ages 12 to 14
- Senior Division: Ages 15 to 17
Eligibility and division is determined by age as of June 9, 2018.
Participation in the competition is conditional upon a candidate submitting the required documents and recordings by November 1, 2017. (Late submission: November 15, 2017; late fee applies.)
- If submitted by November 1, 2017, 11:59 pm EST: $150
- If submitted after November 1, 2017 and by November 15, 2017, 11:59 pm EST: $200 (includes $50 late fee)
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Submitted materials will not be returned. All documents and recordings will be assessed by the Preliminary Screening Round Selection Jury. The Preliminary Screening Round Selection Jury will admit 20 contestants: ten in the Junior Division; ten in the Senior Division to compete in Cleveland. All applicants will receive an email notification regarding their results, and the list of candidates invited to Cleveland will be made public on this website, by March 30, 2018.
APPLICATION RECORDING TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
An unedited video recording of the applicant must be submitted either online (using the online application form) or on DVD sent by mail to the Cleveland International Piano Competition office.
- The recording must be of excellent technical quality; preferably recorded professionally. Recording from a competition performance is permitted.
- The recording must be made in 2016 or 2017.
- Minimum duration is 20 minutes. Maximum duration is 30 minutes.
- Only solo piano works will be accepted.
- The recording must be unedited. Post-production handling that affects the acoustic quality of the recording (such as bias, equalization, and noise reduction) is permitted.
- Live performance recording: Post production edits are not allowed, except to add a title slide stating applicant’s name and repertoire.
- Competition recording: Post production edits are not allowed, except for acoustic quality as noted above.
- Studio recording: Single camera, one angle, one continuous take. Applicants hands and profile must be visible. Post-production edits are not allowed, except for acoustic quality as noted above.
APPLICATION RECORDING REPERTOIRE REQUIREMENTS
- One movement of a Classical sonata by Beethoven, Haydn, or Mozart.
- One virtuosic étude by Chopin, Debussy, Liszt, or Prokofiev.
- After these requirements are met, remaining time (up to 30 minutes total) should be applicant’s choice of repertoire.
NOTE: CIPC for Young Artists is not affiliated with, nor does it partner with, any other music competitions. Applications must be made directly to the Cleveland International Piano Competition, either online via this website or by mail to the CIPC office.